STATE BAR ADMISSIONS
New York, 1994
FEDERAL COURT ADMISSIONS
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, SDNY
- U.S. District Court, EDNY
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Ninth Circuit
EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC HONORS
University of Michigan Law School
J.D., cum laude, 1993
Editor-in-Chief, The Res Gestae
University of Wisconsin-Madison, College of Letters & Science Honors Program
B.A. with Honors, 1990
Trewartha Honors Thesis Award
Distinction in Political Science
Certificate in Integrated Liberal Studies
Phi Beta Kappa
Robert A. Mandel
Principal and co-founder
To describe Rob's legal career as an adventure would be an understatement. Designated a “lawyer’s lawyer” well before he could appreciate the significance of that moniker, Rob immersed himself from the outset in some of the most complex, high-stakes business disputes ever to hit the appellate and trial court dockets. And he has never looked back.
Groomed at two of New York City's most distinguished full-service business law firms before relocating to Phoenix in 2003, and thereafter elevated to shareholder status at one of the largest firms on the planet before co-founding Mandel Young, Rob has devoted the past 22 years to the pursuit of victory for his clients, whether in the courtroom or at the settlement table. Those clients have included some of the largest companies and high net-worth individuals in Arizona, throughout the United States, and abroad.
Having earned the respect of peers and clients alike for his advocacy skills, strategic acumen, work ethic, and dedication to meeting the highest standards of the profession, Rob has been selected to the Southwest Super Lawyers® Lists of 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, and to the Arizona's Finest Lawyers roster of sustaining members. He also enjoys a Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ of AV Preeminent® (5.0 out of 5.0) in his field.*
Rob believes that appellate and trial court litigators can enhance their effectiveness only by wrapping their professional endeavors in a rich tapestry of personal relationships and intellectual, philanthropic, cultural, and spiritual pursuits. Mandel Young is the embodiment of that philosophy.
* AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
Rob handles challenging business, constitutional, and public law disputes in the appellate courts, including appeals of final judgments, appeals of preliminary injunctions and other interlocutory decrees, petitions for writs of certiorari and mandamus, certified questions, appellate motion practice, and the representation of amici curiae. Rob also undertakes engagements as appellate "counselor in residence," working collaboratively with trial attorneys to optimize their cases for trial or appeal. While the functions Rob serves will differ with each case, he often plays a significant role in refining the theme(s) of the case, in composing dispositive motions, in crafting jury instructions, and in handling a wide variety of other trial court level projects designed either to induce the other side to settle on favorable terms or otherwise to increase the probability of victory at trial and on appeal.
Rob has aggressively prosecuted and defended complex commercial lawsuits in the federal and state trial courts for more than two decades. His clients have included both public and private companies in myriad industries as well as high net-worth individuals. Many of the cases have been of the "bet the company" variety. He has litigated suits involving a wide array of claims sounding in contract and tort, including fraud (statutory and common law), negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, intentional interference with existing and prospective business relations, unfair competition, false advertising, trademark infringement, shareholder and corporate claims, conversion, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of private and public contracts, including restrictive covenants, unjust enrichment, fraudulent conveyance, and construction design defect.
Of course Rob knows that clients are rarely enthusiastic about litigation. So he places great emphasis on the deployment of forceful, dispositive pre-trial motions to bring the case to an end or narrow the claims if it cannot sooner be settled.
Areas of Special Interest
Rob advises clients on constitutional issues and other issues of public law, including the due process implications of excessive punitive damages awards, the doctrines of state and tribal sovereign immunity, separation of powers, separation of church and state, Arizona’s notice-of-claim statutes and public servant insurance statutes, Arizona’s procurement statutes, the statutory regime governing sales and leases of state trust lands, matters of federal preemption of state law, and matters of federal court jurisdiction.
Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
Member, National Appellate and Litigation Groups
Team Leader, Phoenix Appellate Team
- Business Litigator, Kronish Lieb Weiner & Hellman LLP (now Cooley Godward LLP)
- Business Litigator, Proskauer Rose LLP
Peer Reviews, Honors, Publications and Lectures
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent® (5.0 out of 5.0)
- Selectee, Southwest Super Lawyers 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Lists (Appellate)
- Selectee, Arizona's Finest Lawyers (Appellate; Litigation)
- Member, Law 360 2010 Appellate Practice Group of the Year
- Recommended, Practical Law Company Directory
- Author, Persuasion, Experience & The Context-Driven Brief, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2014
- Author, On Appellate Practice: Deciding Whether to Bring a Petition for Review, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2014
- Author, APPELLATE ENGAGEMENT: Why and When You Should Retain Appellate Counsel, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2013
- Author, Amended ARCAP 7(a)(2) Affords Civil Litigants Greater Access to the Arizona Court of Appeals, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2013
- Author, LEGAL MISCONCEPTIONS: An Appellate Lawyer’s Perspective on Conversion Under Rule 12 (b), Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2013
- Author, When is a Punitive Damages Award Too Big? A Five-Part Analytical Framework for Appeals and Post- Judgment Motions, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2013
- Author, Beware the Law of the Case, Attorney at Law Magazine (Greater Phoenix Edition), Target Market Media, 2012
- CLE Faculty, Appellate Cases and Developments, Arizona City Attorneys Association Annual Summer Conference, Flagstaff, AZ, June 2, 2017
- CLE Faculty, "Excessive Punitive Damages after Exxon Shipping Co. v. Baker: A Perspective on the U.S. Supreme Court's Evolving Punitive Damages Jurisprudence," Arizona Federal District Court Conference, Tucson, AZ, March 6, 2009
- CLE Faculty, "Excellence in Legal Writing," Larry J. Hoffman Professionalism Center, 2004
- CLE Faculty, GT National Appellate Practice Group Training Program, 2008
- CLE Faculty, Basic Trial Skills Series, "Motions for Judgment and Closing Arguments," State Bar of Arizona, 2008
- CLE Faculty, "Punitive Damages: Lawyer Perspectives on the U.S. Supreme Courts Evolving Jurisprudence Regarding Excessive Damages," State Bar of Arizona, 2008